Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Rick Warren OVER the Bible?


Whoa. In a press release dated last Saturday, some christian congressmen are requesting to be "sworn in" not with the Bible, but the best-seller "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. Traditionally, Congressmen would be sworn in on the Bible, but there is now the problem with accepting the Koran.

A pastor quoted in the article said he thinks this is a good starting point and that he hopes eventually "they'll use all kinds of cool stuff -- worship song lyrics, children's sermons, Dallas Holm albums --since these all seem the center of the modern church, where it's whatever's meaningful to me."

Why are OTHER books/etc. becoming more "meaningful" to us than the Bible? Let's never let God's Word lose its importance in our lives.

One other quote worth noting: Colorado Congressman John T. MacGruder said, "We were asked to use the most meaningful text in our life, and, as far as I can see, my church preaches more from Rick Warren than the Bible, except at Christmas and Easter."

I think it's important to attend a church that emphasizes God's Word more than books ABOUT God's Word. Don't you agree?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quite agree with you Aaron, well said. I must admit though, I have never read a book of this type that quoted more scripture than the Purpose Driven Life. (almost a thousand verses)

I suspect the readers of the Purpose Driven Life have been exposed to a lot more scripture than from many pastors who use a short text to springboard off into a rant about what offended them on the news in the last week.

So I would have to agree, more churchs that empasized God's Word the way Rick Warren does would be a good thing. Don't you agree?

Aaron and/or Mindy said...

God's Word being emphasized is always important and a good thing. It bothered my when reading that press release that books written by men (even though they talk about the Bible) are taking the place of the Bible.

Should people be more motivated by a book ABOUT the Bible than by the Bible itself?