I didn't take the course for credit, instead I audited it. What does that mean? Attendance and learning are the same, but I am not required to take the final exam, do the required reading and pay the full tuition amount. ($100 as opposed to $850 or so.)
There weren't required books to buy, instead, a list of several "recommended" books to read. I did want to do some reading on Contemporary Christianity, so I bought "Fool's Gold" by Dr. John MacArthur.
Here's what I thought of it:
I've always enjoyed reading John MacArthur's books, as well as his commentaries. His doctrine is solid, and he's an evangelical. I would agree with him on many issues.
"Fool's Gold - Discerning Truth in an Age of Error" is not solely written by MacArthur, he's the general editor. He wrote 4 of the 12 chapters, with the remaining 8 being written by men on staff at his church and ministry. This book is solid, I think anyone would profit from the insights presented in it.
A major premise in the book is that every Christian must be discerning, not just accepting anything that "glimmers" as gold. There's a lot of fool's gold in the Christian world today. There are 4 chapters that deal with Christian movements we are all familiar with - and they are dealt with masterfully.
1. The Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren

2. The New Perspective of Paul's writings
3. Wild at Heart by John Eldredge
4. The Revolve New Testament (in the form of a magazine!) - Biblezines -
MacArthur ends the book with a practical plan for developing discernment:
1. Desire wisdom
2. Pray for discernment
3. Obey the truth
4. Follow discerning leaders
5. Depend on the Holy Spirit
6. Study the Scripture and
7. Keep growing.
This book is well-written, and enjoyable to read. Scripture references are used throughout, and this will cause you to evaluate WHY you believe what you believe. Don't just accept something - study it and form convictions. A great book. Nicely done.
I give it a 9 out of 10, and recommend you read it, as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment